Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sober Tuesday

I'm not sure what the past two posts have been about. Can we start over?

"That depends, are you going to write more stream-of-consciousness drivel about half-naked jogging?"

"No, no. I'm way past that."

"Good."

"I'm toying around with naked canoeing."

"You're fired."

"You can't fire me! It's my blog!"

"I'm your reader. I get to do that."

"No, you're not. You're my internal editor. YOU are fired."

"...Well, that back-fired."

"Indeed it did. Now...when one canoes nude, proper sunscreen is a must, and one must consider that question of whether or not a hat is clothes. I'm thinking no."

And so on and so forth.

So now that my lost weekend (which was sober and on a Tuesday) is over what am I going to write about? Gay marriage legalization? I'm happy about it, but no, we've got people covering that one. Miley Cyrus appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live in her underpants? No, no, that's got even more coverage. How about my daughter's question yesterday? Has the media covered that? Lemme Google it...no. We have a topic.

So we were driving to the grocery store yesterday, just my 11 year old and I, and we were listening to music with the windows down, the warm breeze is blowing gently on our faces. And then she turns to me like she's going to say something but is thinking it through. And then, after much reflection she says, "Did you ever think that I might be a super hero?"

"Well....no. I've just been taking it for granted that you're not."

"But how would you know?"

She had me. How WOULD I know? I thought back on the last time I did the laundry. Any brightly colored tights?...yes. Capes?...well, now that I thought about it yes. Has she collected any insects that have possibly been exposed to radiation?...She has a rabbit whose pen is near the microwave....OH MY GOD.

But I had to play it cool.

"Well...are you?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe I am too."

She narrowed her eyes and nodded. "I see."

"I could be Cat Woman."

"You could."

"I'm not saying I am. I'm just saying that we're never in the same room at the same time."

"I could be Captain America."

"I'd vote for you."

"Mom, that's a super hero."

"I know that. That's one of my super abilities! Knowing things."

One of Emma's super abilities is arguing with me, and she did for a very long time. By the end of the conversation we firgured out that we were both the Silver Surfer. We'd appreciate it if you didn't spread that around, we're trying to keep it out of the press.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please keep blogging - every day and just for YOU (even though the rest of us benefit from it as well). Promise?

And be happy. Be happier than you've ever been. Be happier than any one person could ever make you - especially persons who have hurt you deeply. You deserve that happiness, that relief, that freedom.

Run through forests of whispering pines, coffee, and forgotten joys. It works. It really does. :)