Thursday, March 5, 2009

Holy hell, Joan Jett and Lita Ford kick ass!

I can only blog a moment because the girls are beginning to fight, but I had to share this. I was tooling around on youtube, wondering like all of us do, "what 70's punk bands are there that I haven't heard?" Then I remembered the movie Juno and how she said her favorite bands were Iggy and the Stooges, somebody else, and The Runaways, and I thought, "Oh yeah, I've been meaning to look them up." So I did. And forgive my ignorance if you guys have known this all your lives, but Joan Jett and Lita Ford were in The Runaways as teenagers! It was an all girl punk band! It kicked ass! Observe the link below, and note Lita Ford's guitar playing. You might have to wait for it to load. It's from a concert in Japan and it's not good quality, but DAMN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DNmMbyfFL4&feature=PlayList&p=0DA0DAEEA245D5F2&index=17

2 comments:

Embee Breedlove said...

I think I speak for all your fans when I say, we love your enthusiasm for 70's female punk icons. But also that we miss you! Please blog for us soon.

You could distract Emma and Claire by having them write on the blog too. Emma could tell us a story. Claire could tell us EVERYTHING, or at least about her latest actions against the Ice Cream Man. Christopher might not feel like talking, but perhaps he'll draw us a picture?

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who seems to encompass nearly all there is to know about rock music and things related. He schooled me on the Runaways back in 1992. He, of course, has them on vinyl. Joan has apparently always said that the band was not just some thrown-together collection of girls to garner attention, but a serious musical effort, and as such she has rerecorded several Runaways tunes on her solo albums over the years as an homage.